Out and About

Out and About

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Would You Like Some Ice With Your Milk?

Milk, everyone's first nourishment. I am a big fan of milk, and drink about 2 cups a day of it. I'm a vegetarian, so milk is an important source of protein for me.

Milk is...different in Spain. It doesn't come in the refrigerated section. It comes in cartons, just hanging out on the shelf with the other non-refrigerated food.

No need to rush home to put the milk in the fridge in Spain

This was one of the things that stuck out to me when I first started living in Spain. In Chicago, when I see milk that has been out of the fridge for more than a few minutes, I start to lightly sweat and panic and immediately put it in the fridge. After all, doesn't milk curdle when it gets too warm?


The plastic gallons of milk from my childhood are a long lost memory now

Nope. I don't know what UHT is, but I think that's the reason this milk doesn't curdle. Better not to ask. Once opened, however, the milk needs to be stored in the fridge. Kind of like, uh, mayonnaise in the U.S. After a semester of study abroad and 2 more months living in Spain, milk still remains a mystery to me.

By the way, cheap wine comes in cartons here too

1 comment: